Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Menu Anxiety?

Hey Everyone,

So I have a self-diagnosed psychosis. It's called (in my mind, although there may be an actual disorder name for this) Menu Anxiety.

The symptoms of menu anxiety (played out between Freud and I):

Me: This new restaurant seems really good!
Freud: Why, yes. It does.
Me: I wonder what I should get?
Freud: The Caesar Salad looks quite nice.
Me: Yeah, but you can get Caesar Salad anywhere.
Freud: What about this fancy sandwich?
Me: Oooh, fancy sandwich... But then again I do like caesar salad...
Freud: Or this fabulous soup?
Me: Hmmm? Soup, sandwich, or salad? Those are all boring options! I want to try the exciting things on the menu!
Freud: What about this exciting menu thing?
Me: Ew, that looks weird.
Freud: Or this one?
Me: Ooh, looks good. But maybe I will just stick with a sandwich.
Waitress: Would you like anything to drink?
Me (In my head): I forgot to look at drinks!
Me (Out loud): I'd like Sprite please.
Freud: Just water for me, thank you.
Me: Ok, so I can get soup, salad, sandwiches, or some variety of fancy menu thing...
Freud: Are you going to want dessert too?
Me: Probably, so I shouldn't get something too big. Or if I do I could take it back to my dorm and eat it for lunch tomorrow.
Freud: Well the waitress is returning.

This is the point where the anxiety sets in:

Me: But I don't know what I want yet! What if I order something and regret it? Or what if I never come to this restaurant again? I don't want to order something boring! And you're paying, so I can't order anything really expensive!
Freud: I'm dead. Price isn't really an object in your imaginary conversation with me. Just pick something.
Me: Shut up Sigmund.
Freud: I'm sure whatever you choose will be great.
Me: BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT! THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT LIFE CHANGING DECISION!
Freud: You're mother didn't brush your hair enough when you young.
Me: Whatever.
Waitress: What can I get you this evening?
Me: I'll just have generic sandwich #2
Freud: I'll have some caviar, foie gras, and oysters.
Me: Ew


This dialogue (excluding the last part where I freak out) has occurred with my family members and my boyfriend. Is Menu Anxiety really a problem? Nope. Is it a little bit like over thinking everything? Yes. Yes it is.

Emma

PS The word of the day is circumlocutory, which means using more words when fewer would do. As in, politicians can be obnoxiously circumlocutory. Also, my explanation of Menu Anxiety was rather circumlocutory.


1 comment:

  1. This is a funny piece! We'll link it in our recent article.

    We all know the feeling, I guess.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete